Sidings are primarily used for protection. In a typical house, it is the outer cladding that protects it from weather factors. Also in commercial buildings, it is one of the key aspects of the artistic good looks of the structural components of the building. This feature can also add to its property value. Thus there are different materials used in constructing sidings. Among of the commonly used materials is composite. Most composite siding is used as building materials for the exterior of commercial structures and homes. Hence using such siding can give you the benefit of functionality and at the same time beauty.
There are other information and facts that will catch your attention about composite siding. Know more and learn more.
- Other name. Composite siding can be referred to as weatherboard, cladding or siding in different parts of the human race.
- OSB or Oriental Strand Board. There are other types of composite siding made from sawdust or shredded wood that are bound together with bonding agent. This type looks much like wood siding that is also at risk to moisture and wetness damage. However, this offers greater protection against rots and termites.
- Fiber Cement Board. This kind of composite siding is made from Portland cement, sand and cellulose fiber. The materials used in creating this kind of board provide the most durable and long lasting sidings available in the market. It looks much like that wood siding but have greater benefits like much lower price it offers. In addition, it is extremely resistant to termites, water and fire damage. This kind of siding only needs less maintenance as repainting which is required every after ten years or more.
- Variety. Sidings are available all over the market to serve different textures and materials. It is also available in planks, boards, shakes or shingles. There are also varieties of composite siding available in large panels that are perfect for commercial buildings.
- Price. Sidings from composite are much economical than hardwood sidings.
However, despite those dozen benefits it can offer, there are still other typical and distinctive problems and drawbacks you can point out.
- Edge cracking
- Presence of fungal infestation
- Moisture content which is >25 percent (excessive)
- Heavy and difficult to install when fiber cement board is used. It is poor in relation to providing thermal insulation. And the dust from this kind of composite siding is harmful to the respiratory system of the human body.
There are also others that have blurred concept and ideas about composite siding that sometimes they tend to accept some misconceptions as true. Therefore to further realize if some information are true or not, thorough understanding of the subject is essential.
- All composite siding is naturally defective. This statement is often not true. There are a lot of sidings that have different compositions. Although most of the defects are due to the moisture content, it can still be prevented. Having great protection against moisture and other weather elements can increase the lifespan of the siding.
- Sidings made of composites may not always be perfect. There are defects and damages that must be attended to immediately to halt the progress of the damage. Furthermore once you notice some defects, it is best to start working on it.
- Durability and price are usually considered in choosing the replacement sidings. In addition, the weather on the area is also considered. Most often fiber cement siding, real wood siding, vinyl siding or wood based composite siding is preferred as replacement.
Sidings vary in so many ways. Thus understanding how things work is essential to know which will best suit your purpose.